The Most Common Electrical Faults in Properties

What to Look For in Your Property

While some electrical problems seem harmless enough if they’re not causing much disruption to your day to day life, it’s never a good idea to ignore them. What seems a small electrical problem today could turn into something much more serious tomorrow. So it’s really important that you remain vigilant at all times, and take action as soon as you spot anything that’s out of the ordinary. As the electrical contractors Essex clients recommend, we’ve seen our fair share of such issues.

Below are some of the most common electrical faults found in Essex properties, so you’ll know what to look out for:


Surges are one of the most common electrical issues faced by homeowners. There are many reason why you may experience surges, from poor wiring in the house to faulty appliances or damaged power lines. They can even be caused by lightning strikes! While surges only last for a very brief amount of time, if they keep occurring, they can cause damage to appliances and seriously limit their lifespan.

Power Sags & Dips

Just like surges, power sags and dips are a really common electrical issue. A lack of consistency in power levels can not only be frustrating and inconvenient, but could be indicative of a more serious issue too. They can be caused by a faulty power grid which appliances are then connected to. Dips and sags in power can also be caused by a power grid being made from poor quality materials.

Flickering Lights

Flickering lights are an immediate cause for concern. The cause is usually an overloaded circuit or faulty wiring. If the wiring is to blame, you could be at risk of an electrical fire occurring. Of course, the issue can be down to the light itself. However, if you notice the problem occurring throughout your home or business premises, it’s likely to be something that needs addressing by a professional.

Light Switches Not Working

Light switches not working can be down to a number of problems. Some of the most common are poor workmanship and substandard products – both of which you can be sure will never be a cause for concern if you work with us. The issue can also be down to the wiring, circuit, or outlet too. There’s no way to know just by looking at a light switch, which is why you should always give us a call.

Exposed, Damaged or Frayed Wiring

Exposed, damaged or frayed wiring in a property is more common than you may think, especially in older properties, as wiring will naturally deteriorate over time. If you have just bought an older home or currently live in one, it’s a good idea to get the wiring in the whole property checked over by a professional electrician. If left unchecked, old wiring could cause a fire.

Electric Shocks

Electric shocks are never pleasant, but they are one of the most common electrical issues seen in properties across the UK. It usually happens when you switch a device on or off, and the issue can be with the item itself or the wiring. It is possible to test this by plugging in another appliance, but we don’t recommend making any assumptions before calling in a professional electrician to assess the issue – just to be on the safe side!

When to Call In The Professionals

It can be difficult to know when to seek professional electrical help, especially if you aren’t really sure if there is a definite problem in the first place. However, you can’t afford to take any chances when it comes to electrical problems. If you notice that something doesn’t seem right, we’re here to help. We have been in business since 2011, and during that time have resolved all kind of issues for our clients. Whether it’s a case of replacing one or two light switches or carrying out more involved work, you can count on us.

Get in Touch

If you have any questions about us and the services that we provide, then please do get in touch with a member of our team today. We’d be happy to talk to you and give you all the information that you need, and will arrange a visit to your property as soon as possible.